Goal-line technology dropped

Sport Business News

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke admits he hopes the decision to shut the door on goal–line technology does not come back to haunt him in the World Cup final this summer.

The International FA Board (IFAB) meeting in Zurich on Saturday 6 March 2010 voted against continuing any further experiments with goal–line technology and effectively ended any chance of video replays coming into the game. The decision was swiftly followed by a legitimate goal being ruled out during the FA Cup sponsored by E. ON quarter–final between Portsmouth and Birmingham City. Valcke said the game should be prepared to accept referees' mistakes but conceded he hoped the ruling would not be shown up in this summer's FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Valcke said: " Questions will always come, we just hope they will not come in the final of the World Cup. Technology should not enter into the game, It was a clear, clear statement made by the majority of the IFAB. The main part of the game should be humans – players and referees. Whatever are the mistakes – and yes there are mistakes – people will review the match and discuss what happened but there was a clear statement that technology should not enter in the game. If we start with goal–line technology then any part of the game and pitch will be a potential space where you could put in place technology to see if the ball was in or out, whether it was a penalty and then you end up with video replays. The door is closed. " Scottish Football Association (SFA) chief executive Gordon Smith, a vocal supporter of technology, said the development of two different goal–line systems, by Hawk–Eye and German firm Cairos, had been a waste of time and money. Smith said: " There was no problem with the technology. For me the sad thing is that decision could have been made four years ago. It's not based on the fact that technology's not good enough just an ideological idea that technology does not belong in football. " The English FA and SFA had both voted in favour of technology but were defeated by six votes to two – FIFA's four votes plus those of the Welsh and Irish FAs. The IFAB will decide in May whether to pursue the system of having an extra two officials behind each goal–line. Oliver Braun, marketing manager of Adidas–owned Cairos, criticised the decision. Braun said: "They decide what's best for football. All the fans, referees, clubs, players and managers they say something different, but IFAB have the power to do that and we have to live with it. It's frustrating for us because we have developed this system over so many years. IFAB encouraged us to develop the system. They set up some criteria and said if they were met they would go with the technology. For them to come back and say in principle we don't want to use any technology that's frustrating. If they said that before it would have saved a lot of time, effort and money. The solution to these incidents is here – it's not an issue that the technology isn't working. The technology is working, but they don't want to use it. "About The Sport Briefing This story has been reproduced with the kind permission of The Sport Briefing. The Sport Briefing is published by PA Sport and can be found at: www. thesportbriefing. comThe Sport Briefing is updated as and when news happens, from across the global business of sport. The industry's biggest stories have an accompanying email alert, and The Sport Briefing sends subscribers a daily digest to give them an easy–to–read overview of the day's main events. Contact rory. squires@thesportbriefing. com for more information.

Additional information