Sao Paulo work starts

Sport Business News

Work on Sao Paulo's planned stadium for the 2014 FIFA World Cup finally started at the end of May 2011 according to news agency Reuters as South America's largest city battles to avoid missing out on the tournament.

However, the announcement by Corinthians, the club building the stadium, and construction company Odebrecht, came too late to prevent the city missing out on the 2013 Confederations Cup, regarded as a dress rehearsal for the FIFA World Cup. " Corinthians and Odebrecht announce that the excavation work for the building of the stadium in Itaquera, in the eastern region of Sao Paulo, will begin next Monday, May 30, " said the first half of a two–sentence statement. The other half of the statement was to warn potential job–seekers that there would be no immediate vacancies. This came after hundreds of building workers swamped the site, believing that work was about to start, in the hope of securing a job. " The forecast is that this stage of the work will last around three months, " Corinthians said. " During this period, nobody will hired directly on the building site. " As soon as places become available, Corinthians and Odebrecht will disclose the selection process. " Corinthians, one of Brazil's most popular clubs, has previously estimated that the stadium will take around two–and–a–half years to build and should be finished by November or December in 2013.

Additional information